Sunday, January 14, 2007

Mi media piña

I´d like for you to meet my ¨media piña.¨ A fellow Ambassadorial Scholar in Costa Rica, la señorita Meghan Posey, has quickly become not only my classmate at Conversa language school and upcoming colleague at the University where we will be studying for the year, but also my companion, travel buddy, adventurous galpal, and most importanly, my ¨media piña.¨ In Spanish, one´s significant other is refered to as their ¨media naranja¨ (literal translation: ¨half the orange¨), meaning figuratively one´s ¨better half¨ or ¨soulmate.¨ And so, to reference our unique friendship thus far and for the coming year, Meghan cleverly deemed us ¨media piñas,¨ which is to say we are each other´s pineapples. Sweet, ain´t it?
Meghan and I are referred to as ¨las dos Meg(h)ans¨ (the two Meg(h)ans) or ¨Meg(h)an al cuadrado¨ (Meg(h)an squared), or as was previously mentioned, I am ¨Megan numero uno¨ because of my earlier arrival into Costa Rica and she is ¨Meghan numero dos,¨ even though she is my elder. We do have a fun time introducing ourselves when together, and we seem to be constantly laughing our way through all the ¨firsts¨of our year abroad. We remind each other that ´flexibility´ is the key word this year, and we have great ambitions to make the most of this time living and studying and Rotary-ing in Costa Rica. So far, so good!

No comments: